View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
944boy

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from a ~3000 mile drive that included a DE. It was a great drive and was very comfortable, stable and a lot of fun.

I have taken 8 trips across the country in my 944 over the last 5 years. I have taken I-10, I-70, I-80 and I-90. I took I-90 through South Dakota to avoid what I was told was REALLY boring territory on 94.

My trips were usually San Diego to Rochester, NY and were about 2700 miles and took 42 hours. My best was 32 hours strait in the drivers seat. I can do 24 hours strait behind the wheel without much trouble. My advice is that if you have not done lots of long distance driving is to pace yourself, and take breaks when you feel that your loosing focus on the road.

As for things to see. In South Dakota there was this weird car museum that had some really nice cars along with a pinto? Worth the time to stop if you like old cars. You'll see signs for it if your up that way. If your on I-80 in kansas there is a museum called Pioneer Village that is worth the stop.

Also the rest stops in Iowa are the best in the country..... period....

I like I-80, that's what I did the most. I-70 through Kansas was what made me decide that I will never will drive through Kansas ever again.

You'll have fun, long distance highway is not that hard on the car, just watch the oil level (learning habits of a new car) and don't run out of gas. Depending on where in CA your picking up the car, you may want to take 15 to 70 and in Denver take 76 to 80. The only thing there is that you do a bunch of desert driving which can get very hot in the summer, and one section in Utah is somewhere around 200 miles between gas stations (maybe less, but it is a long distance). Other than that it is mostly 75mph speed limits and lots of strait empty road.

Good luck and you will enjoy the car!!!!!!
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote