View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
kouks

DIY - 997 Shifter Install

Hi all,

After looking at few options with regards to a better shift action I decided to fit the standard 997 Shifter on my 986 like quite a few others on this forum. I was contemplating the 997 Short shifter but prices for these are about $800 in australia, delivered from the USA would be about $600 so I optioned for the standard 997 shifter from Porsche which was $320, reasonable I thought.

You basically need 2 tools for the entire job, a Torx screwdriver set and a 10mm socket. Will take a couple of hours at an easy pace. You can take the console off without taking the lower dash piece but i found it easy enough to unscrew 4 extra screws so I could see what I was doing.

It's a great mod and the gear change feels much better after it. It does slightly reduce the throw but shifts are more positive a bit more Rx8,s2000 like although not that good :-)

1) Remove leather gear boot, the Torx screws from under the ash tray, under the storage compartment in the centre console and one toward the front of the console.

2) Remove the sides of the console. The carpet and plastic pieces clip out. Behind them there are 2 Torx screws on each side.

3) Using a 10mm socket, remove the 4 nuts that hold the shifter cradle to the car.

4) Disconnect the two gear linkage rods from the shifter chassis. To do this simply push back the blue and the black plastic ends against the spring. You can then turn them a fraction to hold them in that position. Then push the threaded metal rods up, they should then pop out.

5) Undo the gear cables from the shifter cradle by removing the metal clips then lifting the cables out.

6) You can now remove the shifter cradle from the car and put the new one in and secure the 4 10mm bolts that hold it.

7) Now you need to align the gear stick so that it sits in the middle of the gate then you can push the metal connecting rods into the plastic tube. When the rods are sitting snugly in the plastic tub, you can then twist the blue and black ends to release them, the spring will push them over the metal rods.

8) Now assemble in the rest in the reverse order you disassembled.

9) Job done! I had previously removed the console and got it sprayed arctic silver by a professional. Came up looking really good!

There is a pic of the old on the left and the new on the right.

kouks is offline   Reply With Quote