Thread: glass tops
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Best one to get in my opinion is a factory top with the glass window... Find a used top from a 2003-2004 Boxster, and it's a direct swap for your car.

I did it, and have loved it so much more ever since...
To clarify, if you go this route, you have to find a top along with the entire metal top frame on which the canvas top fits on, from an 03 or 04 boxster. Just getting the 03 or 04 canvas top (without the frame) like you would by buying an aftermarket glass top would not work on your car since it has the older frame on which the old plastic window top fits on. You would then bolt the entire top along with the frame onto your car, as opposed to just fitting an aftermarket top onto your existing frame.

The best route is to source one of these factory 03 or 04 used top and frames because it gives you the most access to the engine from the service position, but if you can't find one, I think the GAHH aftermarket glass top is a very good alternative, as they are the only ones I know of that offer a lifetime guarantee against the window separating from the canvas- which is due to the extra tension put on the glass as it folds...something that is not an issue in the factory 03 or 04 tops, because the newer frames have a 4th bow to allow a clean fold of the glass window.

I can't tell you how nice it is to not have to stare at your rearview mirror anymore to see if the plastic window would fold right or crack as you're putting down the top, or actually having to get out of the car to chop the top. With the glass top, none of that is a worry anymore, and you'll just love it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 06-04-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote