View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
CRCGuy

My test drive impressions

OK, so as you read below, I was concerned about clutch pedal effort so I drove the manual first (S model). I didn't think the clutch was much heavier (if at all) than my MY08 S2000. The take up point is definitely different, much closer to the floor than my Honda or previous miata, but very forgiving and ideal for heal-toe work. I would prefer having a bit higher take up, but I could grow to love this. The shifter was not as precise and fun as my s2000, but I nothing would be. I'm convinced it's the best. It does find the gates very well, almost going there by itself with little effort--never missed a gear once. I did find it slightly challenging to do very rapid gear changes, but then it was a first drive.

The power is insane, almost as amazing as the sound! I can't imagine what the sports exhaust would bring to the party, it's already phenomenal. the car had 19s but I didn't find it was overly rough and i drove on some pretty crappy roads (no PASM either). I did find that the sport seats were much more comfortable for me than standard ones, but then I have a very small frame--larger folks have said they prefer the standard seats due to narrow bolsters which is why the dealer almost always orders them that way. You should sit in both! As per all the reviews, the steering is sublime as are the brakes. I don't even have to comment on the handing--you know the answer.

So at that point I said, that's it, I don't need to drive the PDK but then the sales manager came out to talk to us and suggested I drive it (of course, they can make more money that way). All I can say is WOW!! my wifes car is an 07 GTI with DSG and this thing blows it away. you really cannot feel the shifts it is so fast--there is absolutely NO loss of momentum between gears either upshifting or downshifting--it even feels like it's rev matching on downshifts. I think that's how this car is getting low 4 sec 0-60 times when the weight/hp ratio doesn't suggest it should be that fast. it's just phenomenal and deserves all the praise it's getting. I agree with many that rowing your own gears is great fun, but after drving the PDK I can honestly say I had more fun in that one, plus I could keep both hands on the wheel and focus on driving. the shift buttons are also not quite as bad as some reviews give it. I was used to the push upshift, back downshift pattern in minutes. But forget about shifting during cornering--too hard to find the buttons--really needs both buttons and paddles. The buttons are very ergonomic if you're hands are at 10 and 2, but useless away from that. So I left it in automatic mode for awhile and it was so good at not only shifting but also anticipating the next desired gear change that I likely would not have chosen the gear better myself. I think this gets even better with sport chrono package which this car did not have. I see why true racing machines employ this technology. All depends on what parts of the driving experience are most important to you. As a lover of the snick-snick precision of a nice gearbox I really was impressed---if you are looking at a new model, definitely drive both and see which gives you the bigger smile Would love to hear comments from someone who has autocrossed with PDK--would be interesting.

So even though the clutch and shifter were great, I will likely go with PDK. only concern is longevity- we don't have 10years history with this tranny, but willing to take the risk (and get an extended warranty!).

I will say they had a couple of 08 models and were willing to almost give them away. they had a lightly equipped S there were willing to let go for 50k or less. so now's the time if you're interested in a newer model. dealers are dying to move the 08s to make room for 09/10 and get some PDKs in there.

Hope you found this useful.

crcguy

Last edited by CRCGuy; 06-03-2009 at 02:48 AM.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote