View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
saturk

Coolant Question

I have followed the various questions regarding Boxster coolant. A new owner of a 2001 S, 80k, purchased in Oregon, but live in Helena, MT. Did a a dumb thing bringing the car home. Before leaving Oregon, the coolant level light blinked and the coolant level was below the level on the coolant reservoir. Being ignorant, purchased a gallon of PEAK 50/50 and proceeded to, apparently, overfill the tank. No problems until 650 miles later, at home. After driving it from Oregon all the way home, and after driving thru rush hour traffic, I stopped the car at home and had the proverbial anti-freeze dump from the system overflow tube. This lead to more PEAK 50/50. Then discovered the 986 forum and the coolant discussions. Had one more incident of blinking coolant light, and brought coolant level to minimum with distilled water. A new cap is on the way. No problems since. I am a long ways from a Porsche dealership and not sure about the potential independent in the area. Not wanting to flatbed it to Spokane with oatmeal in the engine as the worst case consequence for my actions, should I do a coolant flush and replace with an approved coolant? Willing to accept all the sling and arrows for ignorance, but after which would appreciate suggestions. I am reasonably handy and believe I can manage the flush and replacement, as shown on the forum. Thanks, in advance.
saturk is offline   Reply With Quote