Thread: Is this heresy?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
andicati

Is this heresy?

My wife just bought a new BMW 545i, sport option, auto. I was set on the SMG box, but when I drove the auto and experienced the steptronic six speed box, I was blown away.

We have this 2 mile road linking the higway to our house. It has 12 turns and is posted 35mph. I followed my wife home and she was taking the corners at 60mph! My Boxster felt as if it was being stretched to keep up. I couldn't believe it so I took it for a spin. True enough, this BMW is a beast. It freely revs to the red line like a motorbike, the active suspension cancels roll in the corners, and the brakes are ridiculous.....the negative G's bulge your eyes out their sockets. You have no concept of the speed you are carrying mid corner, and especially no concept of the bulk you must be hustling round the bend.

I used to own an M3 and switched to a Boxster because they handled better on the track...and I have been more than happy with the decision.

In comparison, the Boxster is a livelier drive than the 545i, but I take my hat off to the BMW engineers for having created such an amazing drive. And to think, we are still to experience the M5! The only saving grace is Beemer chews far more gas delivering thrills than my Boxster (we will ignore the fact that it can transport my family of 5 in comfort, has an outstanding sound system that doesn't have to compete with the elements, and the V8 roar above 5000rpm can seduce Elle Macpherson).

Anyone else care to share an infidelity?