View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
They do lots of German cars so they are already in the ballpark. I supply the oil, filter and crush ring $80ish. I bring a DIY checklist which lists specialty tools, explains the need for long drain time, and has torque settings, and the need to only refill with 8.5qts today. I will top off tomorrow. I spend two minutes with the tech and explain that an oil change on a Boxster is easy but it is a little different, and gently walk him through the list. He understood, did nice work, and charged $20 labor.
I did the same thing last week. I was having issues getting my Honda on ramps and eventually became unsettled about it. [twenty years of doing this and suddenly nothing is going well]. I took the Honda and oil/filter to my independent mechanic. I told them about the ramp stress and asked if they would change the Porsche oil for me also. No problem. I brought the oil, filter, and crush ring and reviewed the oil change with them; requesting an hour drain time and why, fitting the O-ring on the filter housing and the 8.5 torque for the filter. They charged me $20. At this price and considering it was somewhat of a convenience, I think I will sell my ramps. I always thought it was easier to do this at home rather than sit around reading boring magazines or arranging for drop off and pick up. I have changed my mind.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote