Thread: Zerex???
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
that I either have original porsche green coolant (8+ years and 93K) very likely or some undefined green coolant - either way it is time for it to go. This is dead coolant walking.

And I don't mind paying for the Porsche coolant - becuse I know believe in the magic of placing a Porsche label on a plastic jug.

But not sure I want to pay the dealer to run hot water throught the systems. Even though only your authorized porsche mechanic know what end of the hose water comes out. So how - without the proper equipment can you get a good flush?

Just keep filling with distilled H20 - drive/idle - drain and repeat ad nasuem?
It is not that hard, but the car needs to be up in the air or on high jack stands to do it. If you have access to a Bentley manual, follow the steps on draining the entire system. You then need to fabricate a couple of simple tools: You need rubber plugs to fit in the radiator hoses with a connection on the end for a garden hose (you can pick this stuff up at any decent hardware). You will also need a thermostat housing with out the stat (we used a spare we had lying about). The rest is simplicity itself, plug in the connector you made to the hoses you disconnected during the drain process and run hot water thru until it comes out clean (we use a fine mesh screen on the drain to watch for gel, etc.). Then reverse the process, connecting the hose to the engine and doing the same thing (after swapping out your thermostat housing for the empty one).....

Before you start, howerver, I look at the coolant you drain, if it is clean and clear, you are probably fine just to do a refill.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-19-2009 at 04:59 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote