View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Perfectlap

PCA autocross around here isn't the most competitive. I've seen folks win by a second on occasion but that would never happen in SCCA or the other regional clubs. The difference there is as little as .001 in some of the classes. I remember one event where the difference was less than .3's down to 9th place.

I wouldn't make any equipment changes until you have at least 12 autox events under your belt. After that many events you'll see that autox has basically a limited number of type of turns to master. hairpin, slalom, "chicago box", six pin turn, four pin turn, hard right, hard left. Not a whole lot you can do in a confined space. Bascially, Grind what you have first.
I started on street tires and I was slip sliding all over and very tempted to go right into the r-comps. After I put in a ton of mistakes by deliberately pushing hard to test the limits my tires were shot for autox but fine for regualr driving. Then I ordered a set of 14 pound wheels with Azenis and minimized the brutalization and in the first even I was about a second and a half quicker with little punishmment to the stickier tires.

some tips I picked up which could be helpful:
Drive with your shoulders and arms and not your wrists.
keep your shoulder blades pinned, no rocking side to side.
put a piece of tape at the 12 o'clock position to keep you aware of wheel shuffle.
always have your foot on the gas or the brake. time loss comes from hesitation.
sketch a map of the course and number the braking points.

Do a search for Randy Probst the Porsche driver. He autocrosses, still, and had an interesting article about his a-ha momment that made him quicker. basically has to do with deliberately driving slow during a lap.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote