View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #19
Lux

Stryke hit the nail on the head.

I tested both the base and S when I got my car and there is a noticeable difference. This can be objectively measured and cannot be argued. Whether you can feel the difference or not is subjective and depends on you and your driving traits. I know a Corvette owner...his car is an automatic and he drives slower than a snail. He wouldn't notice the difference between his car and a Camry.

The S might initially cost more but will sell for more used. So the $ difference between the base and S is not what it initially seems unless you plan on never selling the car. Matter of fact, the cost might be close to the same over a course of 3 years.

About the base being better in traffic: that's BS. Each gear sees the same amount of torque from the engine. It's not "spread around" between 5 or 6 gears. The S simply has more torque and better gear spacing (talking strictly 986). Check my link here breaking down the transmission ratios on post #10: 6th gear

Everyone has a right to subjectively quantify things but let's keep objective facts well...objective.

BTW, interstingly I can't find any tranny ratio info on the 987. It's not on Porsche's website (?).

-

Last edited by Lux; 04-30-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote