View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
JPF.
that is true. look on the top drivers side of the motor, There is a oil heat sink. looks like a square compact radiator.

part number 996-107-025-57-OEM

if a fan was placed on this part, it would push more air through the fins and cool the oil more.??.
I am going to check the front, and the t-stat, but as an addon this is simple, and if it would cause lower oil temps, that would save the life of the motor, at least from my understanding.
just drove to lunch, and the car went to 198 and stayed there, so i guess something is not right.
I am checking real time temps via the port under the dash.

Did we ever establish what the "normal" temp should be?
When you actually see one of these up close, you will understand a bit more. The exchanger is a "laminar" design, kind of like a loaf of bread on end, where the odd numbered slices have coolant flowing thru them in one direction, and the even slices have oil in them going the other way. There are no air passage ways like a radiator has; it is a solid object, so putting a fan on it will gain you nothing as the heat exchange takes place at the "slice-to-slice" interfaces.............

Have you verified that your front radiators are clear? And I don't mean just looking at them thru the grills; I mean pulling the front cover off and looking between the A/C exchangers and the radiators? You might be surprised at the junk that collects in there and causes cooling issues......we have found everything from a ton of foliage to dead birds inside these systems.

Here's a good "backyard DIY link: http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/Radiator/Radiator.html
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote