View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
Both you and I posed similar questions.
If I understood it correctly, since the t-stat opens sooner (lower temp) and the system is cooling earlier then the temp shouldn't reach as high as a later (higher temp) opening t-stat.
But,,
where the wheels fall off for me is once both t-stats are fully open then everything is equal. It seems to me it has to be in the cycling to make a meaningfull difference.

As for any real benefits in the reduction of 15 degrees I don't think anyone has said.
OK, as I have been one of the posters that has actually used and tested the LN 160 degree stat, let me sum up what we have seen:

1. Lowering the temperature of the coolant appears to have no negative effects (check engine lights, lack of heat, etc.).

2. The M96 is running a lot hotter than you think it is with the OEM stat, mostly due the inaccuracy of the factory gauge.

3. Oil life and performance are closely correlated to heat exposure, the hotter it gets, the faster its performance (and life expectancy) falls off. That, plus the fact that the number one function of oil is heat transfer, not lubricity, allowing the engine oil to get too hot is a recipe for problems. This is why one of the first “performance mods” we suggest for non S cars is to swap out the oil cooler for the S unit which is nearly twice the size.

4. The factory OEM 186 degree stat starts to open (in a pot of water) at 185-189 degrees; it does not fully open until well over 200 degrees.

5. The LN 160 degree stat (in the same test) starts to open at 161-162 and is fully open at about 168 - 170 degrees.

6. Around town and open road tests of a 160 stat equipped 2.7 base car on a 72-75 F day consistently showed lower coolant temps between the high 160’s and low 170’s. Before the swap, the same car showed running temps in the 193 – 210 range under similar conditions. All “real time” test data was captured via the OBD II port.

7. Visually, the OEM and the LN stats appear identical, other than the temp rating markings.

8. I see no reason to believe that “cycling” of the thermostat comes into play at anything other than cold ambient temps. Once the engine, its oil and coolant, are up to temp (regardless of what temp that is), it takes a lot of heat transfer to pull it back down; that is why it takes a bit of driving after being stuck in traffic before the car cools to its normal steady state. So, unless the ambient air is below say 40 degrees F, cycling of the stat does not occur to any great level.

9. Does it increase performance? The correct answer would be “Damned if I know.” We have heard of slight gas milage increases after doing this, but currently have not data to confirm or deny that. Should it increase oil and engine life expectancy? My response would be “Definitely.” Cooling the engine, and in particular the oil, is “a good thing”…………

Feel free to continue to debate its value, but I think from what we have seen there are real benefits from a relatively simple “once and done” parts swap.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-07-2009 at 06:43 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote