View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I sometimes wonder about the element of time, or how long the engine is running.
Add up all the time waiting at stop lights, intersections, drive thrus, stand still traffick where little if any mileage is racked up. Add up all that time over the course of an engines life. I'd be curious to see how many hours are actually 'driven'. That alone makes me think the oil interval is too long.

What I would really like to see is some sort of telemetry that analyzes the oil and relays to the driver when its begun its decline. But then that might put some folks who rebuild engines out of work!
Seems like it would be good for the oil industry though..
Good point! And it's idle time which is most abusive to oil because of high temps and poorer combustion.

On many other machines - aircraft, boats, heavy machinery, it's the hrs. or time interval, not distance, which are counted and the basis for most service intervals.

You could add an hour meter to the car. It's be simple enough to wire one in and there are many to choose from - Hour Meters , even Sunpro offers an analog and digital ones - SunPro ... all less than $50.

'Course then the arguement would shift to 'how many hrs.?' instead of 'how many miles?'... guess you can't win.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote