View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
rudylai

Faced just this problem yesterday.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but also new to boxster ownership. My buying decision came down to either a new 987 Boxster with a sticker of 49k, a new 986 Boxster with a sticker of $49k that the dealer was offering to sell for 40k (I believe I could have gotten 39k or maybe even 38k), or an '03 Boxster S with 17k miles for 40k (ended up paying 39k).

I had the opportunity to drive all 3 back to back and I ended up buying the Boxster S, nicely optioned with 18" carrera wheels, heated seats, Digital Hi-Fi Sound, Cruise, Wheel Caps with Color Crest, remote, windblocker, Porsche approved.

My driving impressions were that there is very little power difference between the new Boxster and the old Boxster S. I blieve that Onad's message was that the ratios in the 5-speed made more torque available for around town driving, and I definitely agree with that. The 6-speed in the S required more shifting and spreads the torque around; I don't plan to do any in-town driving with this car so the 6-speed made sense for me.

The '05 987 Boxster felt like it had a tighter suspension than the S, though this could have something to do with the fact that the S had some miles on it and the '05 Boxster was new. The steering on the new Boxster was more direct and seemed to be quicker, but I preferred the feel of the S. The transmission in the '05 Boxster was stiffer and more precise; it also had shorter throws.

In the end, it was a very close call for me. I did like the 6-speed for driving fun, but I believe the transmission in the new Boxter was better overall. I decided on the S because it came in about 7-8k less than the new Boxster similarly equipped (without the 6-speed in the new Boxter); and it came with a Porsche approved extended warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles total.

Definitely drive both; I was very impressed with the improvements in the new 987 Boxster.
rudylai is offline   Reply With Quote