View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
23109VC

Rock chip repair??

My car is a 2000 - ocean blue. It has 76k miles on it. Never had a clear bra or any type of "protectant" on the front of the car. the paint job on the rear, the sides, the front fenders, the doors - is all GREAT. with a good clay bar job and wax - my "ten year old" paint job shines and is beautiful.

my hood and bumper cover, however, that's another story.

I would estimate there are a good 20 or so nice sized rock chips..nothing "huge", but there are enough of them that it looks like little white specs all over teh hood. most of them concentrated toward the front of it. many are pin prick sized, a handful are maybe 1mm at most..maybe not even that big...basically, they are all really really small...but not so small that you cna't see them.

my car is ocean blue - a nice dark color - so the white chips stand out against the deep dark paint.

what do you recommend to fix this? I know I could get the front end repainted - but I would assume i"m looking at easily $1000 for a good quality job.

I'm thinking of trying some form of touch up paint - but wanted to get a consensus here if there are any paint repair systems, touch up paint, etc that work well for this and are there any special techniques to try and get the finish smooth -and not globby. I don't want "puddles" of paint making the finish look uneven.

if I could just fill the holes with a small amount of paint - so that the white is gone - it would likely look 100x better - even if the color match was not perfect...

i don't want to blow at on of money for new paint, if I can get a big improvement with just cheap touch up aint. paintscratch had a paint pen - anyone try that?

i'm open to suggestions.

are there professional services that do rock chip repair, essentially usign touch up type products but they just do it very well and would get a better result than me for a reaonable price?

i did a quick google search and found the drcolorchip website. the photos/testimonials are compelling - but who knows if it's REALLY that good or if that stuff is just hype/marketing.

anyone try their product? they claim it's "not" just regular touch up paint... check the site. the results they obtain in their before/after photos are really good.

Last edited by 23109VC; 05-01-2009 at 10:14 AM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote