View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Kirk

996 C4S Test Drive Report

Went to the dealer this weekend and test drove both a 2004 and 2005 996 C4S.

WARNING - Do NOT do a test drive like this unless you are willing to fall completely in love/lust with another car. I was completely content with the 250 Hp of my 2000 986 S and figured the 30% more power of the C4S wouldn't really matter. I was wrong...

One of the cars also had the PSE. WOW!!! Now I finally understand what everyone raves about with this exhaust. Plus the button on the dash to quiet it down is way cool. My girl was with me too and she loved the exhaust and asked me why my Gemballa exhaust was so quiet!

One car had a short throw shifter and I didn't care for that. The standard shifter was ultra smooth though. Now that's raised questions in my mind because I've got a similar transmission in my S and it's not nearly as smooth as what I tried in the '04 C4S. I'm wondering now if I have a problem or if there are just more significant mechanical differences than what I'm guessing. I mean the AWD of the C4S must mean the transmission is certainly different, but I guess it's probably more different than similar to the 6 speed in the 986 S and 996 C2. I should try a C2 to compare, but the dealer had no 996 C2's on the lot. Their used car inventory was actually pretty low.

Well, bottom line I was pretty impressed with the car and was smiling from ear to ear. I think I'm going to find one in my garage (along with my Box) before too long here. I've been on the used car hunt for a while and this test drive pretty much made up my mind as to what I'm looking for.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote