View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Cloudsurfer

Any serious car audio guy will tell you that rear speakers are horrible for imaging, however, they do help fill in the sound a bit in a roadster, since they are closer to your ears and help to overcome road and wind noise with the top down.

It is certainly an oxymoron to put good audio gear in a roadster, but it can be done. I have a pretty ridiculous system in my car (courtesy of a friend who owns a very high end car audio shop and used my car for a few competitions), and while it seems wasteful, it is quite enjoyable and proves that good audio in a roadster can be done, however it is certainly not cheap to do it right.

The factory head unit actually isn't that bad as far as its output goes, but it certainly lacks for features and a good interface. The factory amp and speakers are pretty bad, however.

The biggest hurdle to overcome in the Boxster is obtaining decent bass response. It's not hard to swap out the factory door and dash speakers for a set of 6 1/2" separates and their own amp, and even this will go a LONG way to making the car sound significantly better, but getting bass is going to require a custom enclosure (likely in the passenger footwell- search for pics of my install on this board if you'd like) and an additional amp to drive it.

Were it coming out of my own pocket, there's no way I would have the gear that I have in my car.