View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Banana S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
The engine will be livin' the good life on 100, Europe has 98 everywhere and I can't tell you how well 1.1 and 1.8 liter cars run.
Minor clarification here: European ratings are RON, not (R+M)/2, as in the U.S. The same gas will always have a higher RON octane rating than a (R+M)/2 rating, since (R+M)/2 is actually (RON+MON)/2. This link explains the difference pretty well: http://www.csgnetwork.com/octaneratecalc.html

To the OP, many OBDI and OBDII cars have a separate "low octane" ECU timing table, so that the car can still run even if some knucklehead puts 87 in the tank by mistake and a certain level of knock is detected. However, I don't know of any manufacturers that build in a third, separate "extra high octane" timing table just on the off chance that an owner might fill 'er up with something higher than 93 octane gas. So unless you have a separate 100-octane program uploaded into your ECU (like the switchable APR program I have in my 2006 VW GTI), the extra octane won't do anything at all, except make your wallet lighter.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote