View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb
Back to the original question...
Do I need a new thermostat?

Sorry for 'feeding' the hi-jack!

You might need a new T'stat, but unless you've had overheating issues before, it's more likely that there is still air in the system.

Do you have a tiptronic? The Bentley fails to mention the additional step needed for filling/bleeding the tip cars - pull fuse #B1 (tiptronic module), ignition OFF to disable the tiptronic coolant shut-off valve before bleeding procedure.

Many here reported having to bleed the car over several days driving to purge all the air from the system, manual or tip.

After 10 min. running time, the radiator feed hoses at the front of the car should be warm, maybe HOT so be careful.

If not, and you're positive that all the air has been purged, then yes, the T'stat can't be ruled out, but neither could a waterpump with a failed impeller. In either case, you should eventually get a coolant temp warning light.

You can remove the T'stat and perform the boiling water test, but since it's the same thing as replacing it (minus the expense of course), if you were thinking of that, my recommendation would be to just replace it.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote