Thread: Bad Thermostat?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
cnavarro

We ran the 160F low temp thermostat all winter in my Boxster with no ill effect as to warm-up. You receive the same amount of heat and just as fast as the stock 186F thermostat, even in sub zero weather.

If you're stuck in traffic or low speed operation, the coolant temp will creep up as with the stock thermostat until the fans go. Once in motion, the coolant temp will drop quickly. In the winter, it would stabilize at 172F. Last week with ambient air temp approaching 80F, it was hovering around 176F.

One of the main reasons to run the low temp t-stat is to lower the oil temperatures, which already run too hot for my liking.

As a side note, I had an owner of a GT3 call and want a low temp thermostat. I asked what he runs for coolant temps and he said it stabilizes at 176F in mid-70s ambient air temps, so it would appear Porsche already has a low temp t-stat standard in the gt3, gt2, and turbo. He also said his oil temps ran about 190F, showing an oil temp 10-15F above coolant temp, which I have observed before in cars with laminar flow oil to water coolers, like our cars have.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote