View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
cfos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
sweet!

out of curiosity - how does it handle vs your boxster?? I haven't driven a 997, but have driven one 996 and compared to my 986 - I honestly felt the boxster was quite a bit more "fun" to drive in the twisties. it felt more balance and more nimble - which makes sense given the size/weight/balance of the midengined 986.

on a new 997 - I'm wondering it advancements in technology, engineering, etc have made the newer 997 FAR better than the 996 and would a 997 be more "nimble" and tossabel on a twisty road than a boxster??

how would you compare the driving experience of the two cars??
Can't comment on this just yet. I'm still under 700 miles and firmly believe in a proper-break in period for the engine before "spirited" driving.

Having said that, the carrera is an "S" so, more hp in the engine than my non-S boxster. Also, has pdk versus Tip (in my boxster) and the Carrera has the Sport Chrono Plus package which features "Sport" and "Sport Plus" mode (& sport suspension). I'm going to guess that the Carrera will be more "fun" to drive -- nothing against the Boxster, which I enjoyed, but the new car is an upgrade in several areas (for me).

There are plenty of "advances" (this term is open to interpretation for some ) in the 2k9 model year -- the pdk transmission being first. Some reviews claim that it robs the fun out of driving the Porsche although coming from a Tiptronic, I wouldn't claim that. Most articles simply state that shifting is dramatically enhanced -- essentially, the car has what you could describe as "two transmissions" -- one that you currently use and the next that is preloaded for a near instantious shift, which is why you get better mileage. I believe that in Sport and Sport Plus, there is no 7th gear and you can run the roms high before an quick shift. Likewise, I think the gearbox is set so the reverse is true (preloaded lower gears in Sport Plus mode -- not sure if this is accurate, just what I remember). Not the most scientific way of describing it, but I'm pretty sure it is mostly accurate. The car is also predicted to get better milage. The sticker claims 19 in the city and 25 or 26 on the highway. The improved gas milage and lower emmissions have to do with the way gas is shot into the engine (also the motor is some 40 pounds lighter) -- there was a good description in an older Christopherous (sp?) magazine and I'm sure in a Panarama (or online -- if I am not making sense).

My new car also has the Sport Chrono Plus -- there is a "Launch" feature that my boxster doesn't have. I can only imagine what fun that will be. I also find that the 2k9 model year has brought out more creature-comforts -- like xm radio. Though I don't have nav, I love the touch-screen features of the radio/computer. Also, you can get the ipod/connectivity package, which I have -- sure you spend for the options, but I prefer spending and having it fit than worrying about aftermarket mods and where to put the xm antenna, etc.

Last edited by cfos; 04-20-2009 at 03:46 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote