View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylamb
Lil B,

What were the details of your issue? Did they take too long to send a part? Was it broken? I will look into Sunset too. Does your local shop have a problem with installing Sunset parts even if they don't order them and mark them up? I'm assuming that the "mark-up" issue is why techs don't want to do warranty the parts. They're not making enough money on the job.

I don't want to get too deep into specifics. They had sent me an email advertising one price for an item, and less than 24 hrs. later when I ordered the part, the price had jumped more than 60%. My arguement was that they had not allowed reasonable time for me to respond to their email. Their arguement was that Porsche had raised the pricing overnight. I said I understood that for new orders, new stock, but this part was in existing inventory and all they were doing was jacking up the price. It ended up with the dealership's senior management holding a very firm, and IMHO unreasonable line. I had to speak with 4 people over several days. Only when I threatened to cancel the order were things resolved, If they had a sense of customer loyalty, it should have been resolved at the first level. I had used them many times prior to this and only ordered the part because of their email to me.

I do all my own work and have never used the local dealerships.

All Porsche Parts are warranted for 2 yrs. If the part fails, you'll be able to get a replacement. As for installation and labor, each dealership sets their own standards. It's not that they're not making money, you pay the going hourly rate for labor and there's plenty of margin built into that. It's most likely a tactic to generate revenues from the parts desk too.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-20-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote