View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Banana S

Green coolant floating on orange coolant?

So, this is one of those questions that I think I already know the answer to, but here goes anyway... I was in the rear trunk area today just topping off my oil, and I thought I'd check the coolant level (cold) while I was in there. I pulled off the coolant reservoir cap and shined a flashlight into the reservoir while looking at the coolant level through the "window." I noticed (and it was hard NOT to notice) that the top inch of coolant was green coolant, while the rest of the coolant in the tank was orange.

I bought the car last October at CarMax, and I'll bet they're the ones that "topped off" the coolant with green coolant. (These are the same people who, when I told them that the Air/Oil Separator was leaking and needed to be replaced under their 30-day warranty, instead replaced the oil pickup tube. ) I can't believe I didn't notice the dual coolant colors before now. (In fairness, I've driven it less than 1,000 miles since then, though.)

Anyway, am I correct in assuming that I should, at the very least, siphon off the top "layer" of green coolant? I'm considering doing a full system flush & fill, just for good measure, but I don't like to waste money. If a small bit of green coolant remains behind in the system and doesn't hurt anything, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The ultimate question is, will a small amount of green coolant hurt anything?

Last edited by Banana S; 04-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote