Thread: April Panorama
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Banana S

Thumbs down

I read the full article on "How to Buy a Boxster" in Panorama this evening. Honestly, I think most of us on this board could have written a more informative article on the subject.

The article contained gems such as "beware of sellers who claim to have done the regularly scheduled maintenance themselves. Virtually all maintenance on the Boxster requires a lift." (Yeah... Except the oil changes... And the spark plug changes... And the serpentine belt changes... And the air filter changes... And the brake pad changes... And the wheel bearing changes... But I'm sure he meant the OTHER regular maintenance items. )

I also found it more than a little disturbing that, although the author mentioned the RMS leak, he DID NOT mention some of the other common failures and things to look out for when buying a used Boxster, including air/oil separator failures, coolant tank leaks, CV boot tears, and potential problems with the IMS and D-chunk failures. Admittedly, there isn't much you can do to check for those last two, but in an article devoted to purchasing a Boxster, one would think that the author would at least mention them as possible problems that could wind up costing big bucks.

Just my $.02.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote