View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #33
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Yes I am very defensive because Ive come up in a stereotypical, biased world that say I cant do something, that I and others like me are something or cant do something because we are too young and inexperienced.

I am told I cant drive a car because Im inexperienced. Wrong, some people have a lot higher learning curve than most other people. You cant judge a person by there cover and your abilities and standards. Everyone is different.

Im young and Im told to go to college so I can get a good job working for someone else. Wrong. I own two start up companies, and people look at me, tell me, or even think to themselves.. that Im not going to make it or that Im too young and dumb.

The reason insurance rates are so high is that they are biased against teens, if you go look up statistics you will see that older drivers 55+ have the same rate of accidents and even higher than teens, yet their insurance is less. Insurance is a BUSINESS MEANT TO MAKE A PROFIT... they make it from teens. Essentially they screw teens because they are already biased against from day one of driving so therefore it is easy to use that as cover charge higher rates, and the best part about it ... TEENS HAVE TO PAY! Every teen wants to drive and if it cost them $600 a year more than their parents, they will pay it to drive.. and even if you complain, you cant change the system. They have what you want and need required by law to drive. If you disagree with me, feel free to go look up statistics, facts, and reports that are all free information online and offline. I already have, my final project for a Sociology class was on this specific topic about teen drivers, insurance, and safety.

Cheers,

Adam
Yes, there are biases against young people. Mostly these are born out with accident data and so forth.

Yes, there are young people to whom these biases do not apply.

So, how do you tell the difference? What test is there that will identify these people?

ALL new drivers start out the same way = 0! Zero accidents, zero speeding tickets, zero miles of experience. Along the way, many more move into the + column than not, those are the facts.

Once a person has demonstrated that they are good drivers, their rates go down... that is accomplished with TIME.

But it's not all just about those statistics either.

Young people rack up more leisure miles, they rack up more miles at night, they are often carrying other young passengers, they are more social at that time of their lives and so don't stay home as much. They have fewer responsibilities and approach life from that position, trying new things, taking more chances, etc.

They are also gaining experience with many other things for the first time such as
alcohol - a perfectly legal substance (age dependent), and many people reduce their consumption with age (been there/done that, have to get up in the morning and FUNCTION, deterred by DUI threat, etc.).

You may indeed be one of the MANY exceptions, but how do we identify this?

Insurance Cos. and other institutions in society have to be modeled for the norm, not the exception.

I dispute your research about teen driving. I think you're cherry-picking your facts.

Here's a report on teenage drivers done by the California DMV (not associated with the insurance industry) :
Teenage Driver Risks .

Among other things, it states:

"California teenage drivers aged 16-19-years-old have extremely high per capita and mileage-adjusted crash and traffic violation rates. This report summarizes the literature regarding the risk factors involved in their high crash rates, as well as the countermeasures that have been used in California and elsewhere to reduce their high crash risk.

Although some portion of teenage crash involvements can be accounted for by poorer basic vehicle handling skills, the research suggests that it is young drivers’ immaturity and inexperience, and the resultant risk-taking, that contribute most to their increased crash risk. Certain driving conditions, such as nighttime driving and transporting young passengers, are particularly high risk for teen drivers. The higher crash rates for teens associated with the use of alcohol and drugs may mostly be the result of a general pattern of risky behavior."

I'm guessing this one didn't make it into your Sociology project

I agree with you that if teens were not an increased risk on the road, their rates should be the same as others, but that's simply not the case.

And, there are plenty of people 25-55 who are bad drivers too, and they're paying rates just as high as teens, or higher.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote