View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
PlayersExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Quick question for you:

Can you think of some people your age who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car like the Boxster? You said you know kids with even more powerful cars, do you think all of them are responsible enough to be driving those cars either?

Do you know if the parents of some of these kids with those cars are just completely clueless as to the way their kids actually behave when behind the wheel?

BC.
Sure BC, I would gladly answer those questions. Yes I can think of some people my age that shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a boxster, and even a car for that matter. The good thing is, those are the ones that are easy to spot because they have a track record of irresponsiblility that is easy to find as an adult if the parent doesnt take an active role in the teens life. Does he get in trouble at school? How are the grades? How does he treat you, the family, and others? What kind of people does he hang out with / what are some of the storys about the people he hangs out with? Does he do drugs / party often? Police record? Hows the prior driving history? Those are all telltale signs of a track record of people that shouldnt be allowed near a boxster.

In regards to my friends who drive more powerful cars than I do, I believe most of them are responsible enough to have them. Everyones situation is different, but most of my friends worked for their cars and had a good record with their parents where they would ok the car. Albeit there are the hand few that just got spoiled by their parents like a girl I know whos parents bought her a Black 06 BMW 650I.

It is my belief to let the teen choose the car he wants. My parents did it with me. I had the option of an older corvette, a pontiac gto, a new Nissan 350z, etc. but Ive always wanted a Porsche since I rode in one at age 8. Not that everyone is going to have a story like that but the point is is that if the teen chooses the car "THAT MEANS HE WILL HAVE MORE RESPECT FOR THE CAR BECAUSE IT IS A CAR THEY WANT." If they have a good record, make them work for the car. IE- they need to put in at least $1500 for the car. They pay their own gas and insurance. They pay the maintenance for the car. A teen is more apt to take care of what they consider their own. Most teens are scrupulous with their money. They may not spend it wisely for the most part, but when they spend a lot of it on something they like.. say an ipod or a new computer, etc. they take care of it. Same thing with as car. If a teen has to put a lot of money into HIS CAR, he will realize this and be more responsible with it.

Lastly, I do believe some parents are somewhat clueless what their kids are like behind the wheel. It is the hardest thing to tell because under interrogation and being observed driving, anyone can put on a show of a good.. defensive driver who obeys the speed limits. But most parents should know how their teen drives, well they all should know because there is no excuse for not knowing. Here in Illinois you have to drive the car with a parent in the passenger seat with your permit for I believe it is now 100 HOURS before you can get your license. Some parents make up a lot of that time on the sheet, but still if a parent is taking the kid to their soccer game or baseball game, they should let them drive. Most have their teens drive here and their. Being an experienced driver, you should be able to tell the teens driving style from just being inside the car if you dont say a word about the driving and just let it happen.

Taking the teen for ax and driving lessons with the boxster would be a good thing.. my mom did it differently when we got my car. We drove from Chicago, IL to Cincinnati, OH to pick up the car from an Alderman of Cincinnati who sold us the car. My mom was driving her 2000 Pontiac GTP (Supercharged) and I in the Boxster. Before we got onto the expressway, she told me to follow her at all times. We hopped onto the expressway and my mom took off weaving in and out of traffic at 100mph when the flow was about 65-70mph... I had to pursue or loose her. Driving those first 15 miles like that taught me a lot about the car we bought 30 min previous.. the best 243 miles I ever drove.

If anyone has any questions, I would happily oblige and answer them to the best of my abilities as I am a teen.

Adam

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 04-06-2009 at 08:32 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote