View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
urban_legend

My experience...

I opted to go with a replacement vinyl window. I will pick it up this week and will post some photos. I didn't like the green tint so I went with a smoked "glass" tint thinking it would look better with my black boxster.

In brief:
- hand sewn doesn't seem possible. Every pro I spoke didn't want to touch it and said it would leak anyway. Although I am tempted to take one for the forum and try it. (Maybe if someone has a old top they want to donate to the effort.)
Cost est: $150 ...$100 Vinyl and $50 for the proper sewing needles/thread/etc

- removal of the top with frame. Pretty easy to remove the top with the frame - but the pros want it off the frame (just fabric) so they can sew it with standard machines and frames.
Cost est: $500 ... $100 Vinyl and $350-$400 to sew on (add 1 hour labor if you have someone take the frame off for you)

- removal of the fabric top. The best way to go for a DIY. Just take the top to a canvas or auto convertible top shop. Lowest cost, 2 hours of labor to sew and the cost of the vinyl. If you need a pro to take off the convertible top you might as well get a whole new top - since the labor to put on a new top is less than taking off and putting back on the old one.
Cost est: $200 ... $100 Vinyl and $100 Labor to sew

- new top. Best way to go if your top is old or you don't want the hassle. Prices vary widely (like 100%) for both the top and labor.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote