View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
greesedc

Exclamation Porsche..."There is no substitute"

I've been playing with, restoring, racing, and having a blast with Porsches for over 25 years...some of them when I still had some money to play with. (I need a stimulis for a new Boxster).

Point is, however, Becks and every other plastic wannabe are just that. Cool to drive, cool to look at, affordable, and usually everything on them works, but to the purists they are like 4 wheeled, red headed step-children.

Case in point. I had a '56 356A coupe that I rebuilt, but not having the cash at the time for a real Porsche engine, I built a VW 1835cc race motor and put it in the tub and it ran like stink! Usually kept the lid down on the engine compartment at events, and while it still sounded pretty volksy no one ever cared.
I finally got a proper moter and sold the car to acquire a '57 356A Cabriolet.

Last year, at an annual multi marque, Concour D' Elegance car show, there were, of course, many various 356's represented by the local tub club, but what "356" do you think that the unknowing masses drooled over? Yep, it was a 356 wannabe done up in an amazing paint job, and turned into a widebody outlaw.

The masses were fooled, the real Porsche guys were put off by the fact that the thing even got into the Concours in the first place, but you know what? The car looked great, it probably ran great, it was likely very reliable, and if anyone wants a Beck or any other good looking Wannabe...GO FOR IT and ENJOY your ride!

p.s. My Black '93 968 Cabriolet placed 3rd in 2007, and the Black '01 Boxster 2nd in Class in 2008. But, the '57 356A Cabriolet, was People's Choice over 15 years ago at the West Coast Holiday. All gone but the Boxster

I love my Boxster, but a 2010 wouldn't take up any more room in my garage than the '01. My wife and my 401K disagree.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote