View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Perfectlap

driving below 2800 RPM = trouble?

Snipped from the internets...
Ever since the last year's oil hijacking by the NYMEX speculators I picked up the habit of driving AT the speed limit. When gas crashed back to below $2 I continued my frugal driving, keeping the car in th 6th gear on highway and rarely keeping the RPM's above 3,500K. Not just to save gas but I figured I'd do the real driving at the autocross and cut down on engine wear. My car by the way, is only driven weekends and 90% of it on the highway the other 10% usually darting around lower Manhattan. Guess I'll have to keep it in 3rd gear more often.

I'm skipping Mobil 1 for the first time ever. I'm thinking of going with Castrol Syntec 5W40. I hear there are issues with Royal Purple "shearing".
Flamesuit on...

==============================================
"What do you all think, lower RPM's = less probability of IMS failure?"
__________________________________________________ ____

"Absolutely not.

The exact opposite has been true.

We have yet to see a single IMS failure from an engine that has been driven hard and thus far we have the biggest library of documented failures on this Continent.

Most IMS failures come in stop and go street driving, or in cars driven by Women.

The statistics prove that these engines like to be driven more aggressively, this information is included in the December 08 Excellence article on the M96 engine that features our development program.

The key to reducing IMS issues is to reduce the oil change intervals provided by Porsche by 1/2 and use an oil other than Mobil 1. If you coupkle this with a driving style that a Porsche is designed for your chances of having a failure are greatly reduced.

Do NOT drive at less than 2800 RPM and do not lug the engine!!!!!!!!! Nothing is worse and nothing has proven to kill the oil faster!

I have been TRYING to make the IMS fail in one of our test cars for the past 8 months or so. I hold the car WAO against the rev limiter for 2-3 minutes at a time, flog it in second gear against the limiter for as much as 5 solid miles at a time. When the car fires up, stone cold I hold it WAO for at least 45 seconds. There IS NOTHING that can be worse on an engine than this kind of abuse since the engine sees a huge temperature differential and it's not even well lubricated when it fires up and revs immediately to oblivion.

I have been doing this for almost 20K miles and have not changed the oil since I began the process of "flogging". The engine is equipped with full data acqusition as well as oil condition monitoring systems and the data has remained consistent since I began the torture. The engine has 75K miles on it now.

I'll post a durametrics data log over the weekend showing the RPM and abuse this baby has seen and you won't believe it.

It appears that Boost may be required to kill this engine before January when I'll be pulling it to swap one of my 2.9s into it. "

--------------------

Jake Raby
Raby Enterprises Inc
www.flat6innovations.com
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote