View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
mylamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastside_J
Yeah this is a newbie first post. Hello to all.

I just bought a 2001 Boxster, black with jade green leather and about 56,000 miles (love it!). No issues (knock on wood) besides the horn not working which I am investigating.

But honestly all the posts on this board and the Renntech forum have me a little freaked with stories about sudden unexpected (as if they are every really "expected", right) engine problems.

I have always loved the look, performance and off the charts "fun" factor of the Boxster, but honestly part of the reason I decided to buy one is that it came with a decent level of reputation, and even consumer reports ratings, as being reliable.

So I started thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and buy an extended warranty to protect myself in the event a major mechanical failure occurs (like an engine blowing) that would cost nearly as much as the car is worth.

The first warranty company I contacted policy is through "Warranty America" sent me a sample contract that covers mechanical failure and wear and tear of most major parts (the covertible top isn't included and either are "normal" replacement items like brake pads, rotors, exhaust etc).

The total cost is $3,000 for the policy. There is a $50 deductible and the policy period runs until 2013 or 116,000 miles (there is no way on earth I would hit that mileage number before 2013).

Is it worth it? or am I just getting anxious for little reason.

Would anyone share their warranty experiences? Who did you buy it from? Good experience? Regrets? Hassles?

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their knowledge and experience

Eastside_J

First of all, drop the top and post a pic of this car! I have never seen such a combo.

Here is my experience with Warranty America. I think a warranty (especially on a 2001) is better than nothing, but I don't think you'll get the level of service or coverage from them that you want. They have hit me with several surprises regarding how much they'll cover, especially regarding # of hours.

Gearbox Repair - your thoughts?

There are SEVERAL warranty threads on this forum. Just search for them or search "Warranty America" (use the quotes) and you can see if it sounds like a good idea. Many owners would say, save the $3K. I prefer a warranty to nothing, but maybe you should shop around first.

Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote