View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #23
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Considering that we only started the program 5 years ago and didn't sell the first engine until 16 months ago we don't have data thats as old as the M96 it's self... But guess what, neither does anyone else!

It's simple... We are applying as much "Overkill Engineering" as possible by applying proven technology along with classic hotrodding and hand assembly to create an engine that just plain works.

The Nikisil technology used for the cylinders is exactly what was used by Porsche for 3 decades in the 911 engine, the same technology that was not used by Porsche in the M96 due to extreme expense.. Its overkill, but it just plain works, has little friction and hardly any wear... The IMS is the same way, so are all the other parts we have developed and tested.. When we do cylinder head preparation we don't use OE valves, we use a valve thats way more extreme duty and has been in service under my roof for over a decade without a single failure, they don't even fail when they should.... Why??? Because as a custom unit they only cost 3 bucks a piece more than a Porsche valve and I have the ability to have them made exactly as I want them...

Yes, we have data... Do some research on my background and you'll see that data and product development is my specialty and that I won't allow my name to be associated with anything that isn't proven.... Thats why I spent over 4 years researching and designing components before I sold the first engine.

The only way the skeptics will be satisfied that our product is superior is the application of the engines on the street and on the track along with the positive testimonials that we gain from each build.. I'll be the first to tell anyone that our program is not "one size fits all" and isn't for everyone, in fact if a potential client has a single doubt that we can't exceed the factory, I will not work with them... Luckily we have enough people who appreciate what we have created and want to share it with us bad enough to keep the program growing at a VERY fast pace... If nothing else we offer more performance than the factory can offer and for that one reason we move over half of our engines, despite the added reliability and longevity- people that want unlimited power potential don't care about that generally..

All that said, we expect some skepticism and doubt and you can bet your last dollar that we are putting every bit of enthusiasm and intensity possible into developing a program to make the M96 what it should have been from the factory. This is being done through old fashioned hard work, application and just plain expenditure.

In a decade we'll see how the cards are stacked.. We are in this for the long haul and already Porsche Dealerships are having US consult their technicians that are doing internal M96 engine work for the first time... Today doesn't matter, tomorrow does... I have a very strong aircooled business that has footed the bill for all the M96 endeavors and that side of the house is also growing, even with an economy in such disrepair... You won't find other companies adding to their work force and 4,000 square foot additions to their facility right now... I did.

To say the least I don't mind working toward a goal and proving myself and what I design and create over a decade or more... I have done it before and the second time is a hell of a lot more fun.

In closing I"ll say that gathering data concerning reliability is near impossible to do accurately... Thats because its hard to control all the variables that play into a longevity equation. I gather data all day everyday and under this roof are two engine dynos, a chassis dyno and over 100 channels of combined data acquisition capability.. And most importantly an insane maniac behind it all that doesn't mind an 18 hour work day, broken parts and failure on more occasions than success- thats reality in my world.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote