View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Bobiam

These guys are right-on about the torque limits. Lying on my back, with arms outstretched with a torque wrench in hand I could not feel the little "click" my wrench gave me, and landed up overtightening the canisters substantiallly. That torque limit is almost nothing to achieve with a wrench over a foot long.

When I realized this I decided to loosen it and re-torque. I learned that it's a lot harder to loosen plastic on aluminum than tighten it!!! You would not believe the hell that I went through loosening that thing. The cup wrench would slip and I actually had to wrap the canister with duct tape and tap the cup wrench onto it. When it finally loosened, I then had to hacksaw the cup wrench to take it off the canister. This sounds impossible, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but it happens easier than you'd think. I was geting prepared to drill ahole through the canister in order get leverage on it.

All is well after reinstalling it to the correct torque.