View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
jjanari

It's really not much different than most cars with maybe the exception that it uses the reusable cannister, instead of a spin on style metal filter. even then, you need only be concerned with putting a new o-ring on, which should come with your new filter. also, forget the special porsche filter wrench; autozone has one that works just fine.

Add'l tips:
1) it would be a very good idea to have a new drain plug on hand, particularly if PO used a quick oil change place. These places tend to over-torque the hell out of the plug without concern about who may have to remove it next! The drain plug is suprisingly light and doesn't feel very durable. Mine began to strip as I removed it, but I was fortunately able to get it off. I bought a new one to replace it.

2) watch for overfilling. After about the 7th quart, I began pulling the dipstick to make sure there was no overfill.

3) I used a torque wrench on the drain plug and filter cannister, just for peace of mind. could probably just do it by feel, like I do on other cars.
in any event, the end result was no leaks.

4) I let the oil drain for at least an hour to make sure all the old stuff came out.

it's not hard at all. good luck.

-jimmy
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote