View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
boxster1

advice

Congratulations, you are asking exactly the right questions.

I just bought an 03 Boxster S and I don't know what dealer will change the oil for as little as $150.00. Brumos Porsche, of Jacksonville, FL, wanted to charge me $275.00 to change the oil. The dealer in Orlando wanted almost as much. I found two independent mechanics who would charge $155.00 and $135.00. I don't know how you would change the oil yourself if you don't own a car lift.

Furthermore, Brumos' service department told me they wanted $825.00 for annual maintenance. This consisted of an oil change, a new engine filter and they would then simply look over the car thoroughly to find what else they could charge me for. No joke.

Remember just because the value of your car has depreciated more than 70%, doesn't mean that the maintenance cost has gone down.

Before you buy your Boxster find and good local independent mechanic. How far will you have to drive to get your car serviced?

The ultimate question with buying a used Boxster, or any other used high-end vehicle, is yes, you can afford the used car however, can you afford the maintenance? Others may disagree with me but I would say, for an 02 Boxster S, make sure you have at least $4k in cash after you buy the car, just for repairs, just in case.

In my humble opinion, Porsches are meant to be driven hard and repaired frequently. If you go in expecting that, you may not be disappointed.

That said, I love my Porsche. I've never driven anything like it. Good luck and I hope you do join us as an owner.
boxster1 is offline   Reply With Quote