View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
RandallNeighbour

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

My best suggestion for you is to read through Mike Fock's web site and then my page of buyer's tips on my site (link in signature). I recommend Mike's first because he's invested far more time and energy to write about how to shop for a used boxster.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Quickly though, here's some off-the-cuff thoughts about your specific questions...

1. Rear tires can wear out in as little as 7500 miles if you drive hard or they are set up for the track. Typical wear is 10-12k. Fronts last a lot longer unless you corner hard.

2. Oil changes are $150 or about $100 if you do it yourself (easy if you have ramps and a filter tool) and should be done every year or XXXX miles... how long to go between changes is highly debated on this forum (I do mine every 7500 miles or once a year).

3. Brake pad wear is very subjective. Disks should be changed every 2-3 pad cycles and Porsche does not recommend you turn them. If you don't drive the car like you stole it you will find the brakes last as long as most other cars... but that is doubtful because it's a Porsche and you bought it to drive fast (at least I did!)

4. The suspension bits (wheel bearings, control arms) wear out faster on boxsters than all the other cars I have owned combined. Porsche says these are wear items like brake pads and they are not wrong. Do budget money each year of hard driving to replace one or two suspension parts and you'll be fine.

5. If you get bitten by the mod bug (which this site will do to you, so watch out ... you have been warned) you will spend far more money on your boxster than you or your wife could ever imagine possible. Everyone wants to make their car a little faster, a little better looking, and a little more unique it seems. I have spent as much as most anyone on the forum in this regard. Guilty as charged.

Driving this car is the most fun you will have with your clothes on. It's forgiving and amazingly fun to drive hard. I call it a one-man, self-directed roller coaster car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote