View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Jake Raby
Engine Surgeon

Lots of things do work, lots of things do not work... ECU flashes are not all created equally, if anyone thinks that an ECU flash is a "one size fits all" they have another thing coming. To optimize my performance package for the 2.5 I spent 3 solid days applying different flashes, gather OBDII and analog data and then working on the final details of the flashes to best hone them to the package.

I ended up keeping the cam timing table from one flash, the ignition timing from another and then the AFR down low and up top from two other flashes.. That was over 60 dyno pulls and 800 Mb of data from the DL-2.

When it was all said and done the car was much faster, even though the dyno didn't show all the gains, it certainly showed up on the street and the engine runs better and I have gotten as much as 34 MPG!

The 2.7 is the same, it is a well tuned package from the factory, just like all the cars, but with real effort it can be done.. It took me 4 solid days but I added 10HP to a 2001 Boxster S and a ton of throttle response and from what I have seen the 2.5 and 2.7 cars have MUCH more left in them from the factory than the 3.2.

The majority of whats on the market today has little to no development behind it, there may be one dyno graph from one car, but most all of these components are not coming from "developers" that have had these things applied to more than one car...

I have data from 3 different cars that PROVES that a single 2 thousand dollar exhaust system can create a 20HP reduction in performance over stock on a 3.2 and 14HP reduction from a 2.5! It'll also cost you 6 MPG! It sounds great, but it sucks.

More performance can be found, but not without the application of an optimized package, most everything I have tried has reduced performance, made a lot of noise, burned a lot of gas and killed efficiency.
-

Last edited by Jake Raby; 03-05-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote