View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Samson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvravesteijn
Thanks.

I went to the german porsche website and it seams to me that the PSM mostly adds fictionality for handling understeering or oversteering. Would PSM be something I would need or would the traction system be enough? Or is without the best - put me as a driver to the test?
I wouldn't say it's a must have, but it is nice to know it's there when needed. The Porsche system also lets you get away with a bit of tail-out fun before it noticeably cuts in on the action.

Traction control on a RWD car is functionally a form of stability control as well, just not to the extent of a stability management system. My IS300 has an LSD (meaning that it can be a bit touchy in low-traction situations) and traction control, but no stability control. If you pull out on to a slick surface with a bit too much right foot, the system cuts in and reduces engine power, in turn minimizing your chances of swapping ends if you aren't paying attention. Sure, you'll get there faster with it turned off, but then you scare your passengers.

Anyway, I say traction control is good to have (especially with the open diff in the Boxster), and PSM would be a nice bonus.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote