View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Bladecutter

Hey guys,

My recent history with my '98 Boxster with 80k miles on it when I purchased it a couple of weeks ago were two separate clunk noises, under different circumstances.

The first clunk noise, which was the engine mount, happened mostly in straight lines, under firm to moderate acceleration, and most noticeably under shifting conditions.

Also, if I was at highway speed, cruising along at a constant speed, and let off the throttle, the car felt like it would pull to one side for just a moment, and then straighten out. If I then got hard on the throttle, the car then felt like it would pull to the opposite side. This feeling was very faint, but noticeable.

The second noise I had was coming from the right rear of the car, and only happened when I was taking a right hand curve under moderate power. The sharper the curve, and the more power I was trying to use, the worse the noise was.

That noise is better described as a shudder.

The cure for that was new rear struts.
I just replaced them yesterday, and the right rear strut was completely dead.
As soon as I removed it from the car, and remove the spring, the piston sank right into the strut body, and that was that. The left side is still good, and I will probably hold onto it for a while.

Not all noises are the same.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote