Thread: 911
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Pilot2519j

986 not even considered the 911

My purchase of the Boxster was more of an accidental purchase than anything else. All my life until Dec. 2003 I did the predictable when it came to cars. I had owned Audi's from 74 to 2003 and was looking at buying my first V-8 engine car. The 2004 S-4. When I went there to trade in my 2001 S-4 twin turbo the trade in was very what I considered low. Add on top of that inequity the fact that this salesman that I had done business for years wanted over list for the car really burned my fuse quite rapidly. I went home moping and told my wife who suggested " Honey why don't you go see the Porsche dealer? I had the Porsche so far out of my psyche as an unattainable car that I really never did considered it.
Upon arriving there I was shown the Boxster and the trade in was much nicer that I bought a 2003 Boxster S. I fell in love with the car once I saw it. The clean roadster lines, a convertible another first for me, I never got a chance to test drive the car other than the manager told me wait till you drive it and you will love it. No truer words were ever spoken. The car is a blast to drive. It is faster than the S-4 I think it is one of the nicest designs in cars since the E type. I never did consider the 911 eventhough I could have bought it the 986 looks so much better. Basic differences are very small and insignificant at least in my mind. I use it every day in snow, rain, traffic jams etc and have yet to tire from it. The 997 genre is an old design that has evolutionized vs the 986-7, which is a totally new design as a roadster from the outset looking much nicer.
Sure it would be nicer to have all hp in the world but realistically where can employ and exploit all of that performance of the car. Being 1/2 second slower is not the end of the world but handling better than an Enzo is really a nice award to hang on your mantle.