Thread: How do I?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
FTD

Wow, that brings back miserable memories. No money to hire a mechanic, replacing clutch parts in December in the cold and sleet. Accidentally rolling in transmission oil and the putrid smell I couldn't get rid of. Yeow. It turns out I didn't need the clutch parts, I actually needed the little inexpensive pilot bearing.

OK, I don't know mechanic terms but my helper person had to get this thing that is a long pole with three prongs on the end of it and a sliding weight. If I saw it mentioned I would know exactly what someone was talking about, but the word for it doesn't come to me right now. Get those prongs extended into the center of the bearing and 'caught' on the ring. [boy, do I sound technical or what?]. Then send the weight slinging down the pole [for force] over and over until the damn thing comes out.

If I could think of the name of that tool, I could have just said "with a ___". But that would be less amusing.

I don't think I was around when the new one went in. I think I had reached a breaking point on being an auto mechanic.

Last edited by FTD; 02-25-2009 at 07:03 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote