View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
23109VC

they aren't NEARLY as fun to drive as a boxster - but a used volvo makes a decent "beater". the older ones, like mine, are indestructible. I have a 1999 S70.

they have very large room cabins. big back seat, large trunk. they seem to age well too. my parents have a 1998, I have a 1999 - and they look much newer in terms of how the paint, interior, etc has held up. the T5 version pushes almost 250hp, albeit it's FWD. great cold weather cars. they make killer wagons. not the car I would buy for my "MAIN" vehicle as I honestly don't like the handling, and it's NOT stylish - but if you want something that will handle cold weather, is CHEAP, SAFE, and runs and runs and runs - the older boxy volvos are good finds.

my mechanic said most of the older volvos like mine will run 300,000 easily. the motors are tanks. not quite like an M96 in terms of reported failures... Mine has about 140k and it has required only routine maintenance the entire time I've owned it - i've had it from 20k miles to now.

they make an XC70 variant of the "boxy" wagon V70 - that has a similar powerplant as my car. great snow car - lots of practicality, luxury, and the one other good thing about used volvos from a buyer's perspectie is they depreciate terribly, so relatively clean ones, wtih low mileage are cheap.

just a suggestion. let me tell you this - after driving my S70 for a few days, getting in my 2.7L Base - it feels like i got into a indy car..
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote