View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
23109VC

it comes down to how much you can spend and do you want to spend it NOW or LATER?

if you buy a newer lower mileage car with a warranty - you will pay more NOW but you won't be out of pocket for big $$ repairs.

if you buy an older car you will get a cheaper price but get nickel and dimed with maintenance and upkeep.

i bought a 2000 2.7 5 speed and I love it. I was shopping for base vs. S and bre 03 vs 03/04. I WANTED an 03+S but my dad put up his 2000 base for sale and made me a really great offer. i like his car and decided to help him by buying his, I did get a deep discount...and it'sa pile of fun. part of me wishes I had just spent more to get a newer faster S - but our deal was a win-win so my situation was somewhat unique.

if i had it to do over - and my dad was NOT selling his car - i'd try to get an S and an 03+. but i promise you that even a 200 0 base is a pile of fun. my car has 18s and m030 - which is a blast. these cars are all about handling, and the wheels/suspension make a big difference.

if you are into "fixing" cars upa nd moding them, you could get a smokni deal on an older one that needs new suspension, then do NOT put in OEM struts.. but instead buy ROW M030 or a coilover setup, and have a car that corners EVEN MORE ON RAILS than a stock one. you'll love it.

bottom line is these cars can be cheap to buy if you get an old one - but they are not cheap to fix. it's always nice to have a newer car but your budget may not allow it.

in this market though - i bet there is a huge variation in prices cars sell for. some guy who bought his car on his HELOC and paid cash - and has it listed for $25k and has had NO bites for 6 months..and is dying to get some cash in his pocket beause he is getting foreclosed on - or some other financial crisis like a divorce, etc etc... will probably let it go way under market just to move it. no laon to pay off...the car is just an asset he needs to liquidate...who knows how low he would go...

if you look hard and negotiate hard you could probably find some killer deals on these cars.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote