View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christeon
I have a 97 Boxster I bought it new. I ordered it with the 030 suspension and loved the way it handled. I just rolled over 115k miles and it is obviously worn out. Couple years ago I did a 3.4L swap and that I've never regretted. After researching here on the boards and deciding I'm looking for a little more performance than the original 030 (felt it was kinda soft for a true sports car) I'd like to get some feedback on my choices to make sure I'm not making a mistake. My wishes are something in between 030 and a track only setup.

possible relevant Car specs: 97 Boxster, 3.4L, option 030 original, 993 turbo Hollow spokes.

My coilover choice at the moment is Ksport's Kontrol 5.3kg/mm front 7.9kg/mm rear springs, these seem worth a try at their low price point.

Front: GT3 sway bar + drop links

Rear: new 030 sway bar (these do wear out right?)

The consensus so far it seems I cannot go wrong with the GT3 front and in the rear going stiffer than the 030 with 3.4L will cause traction issues. I'm confident about getting the GT3 but in the rear I'm real hazy. When I do the swap I plan on re doing the wheel bearings because of the mileage and adding any aftermarket bars to get the suspension back into specs.

Please advise me if I'm off, I do plan to start tracking the car for fun and DE.
Definitely do the wheel bearings (rears at a minimum) as part of your refresh. Your original bearings will deteriorate quickly once you start track driving.

I only have direct experience with US M030, ROW M030, and PSS9 suspensions, but the chatter on Ksport has been generally positive. PSS9 is ultimately not quite stiff enough to be a top-flight track suspension.

The lowering from ROW, PSS9, and other after-market suspension kits significantly enhances handling... but keep in mind that with a significantly lowered suspension you will need adjustable toe links in the rear and/or adjustable front lower control arms (GT3 style) to achieve an ideal alignment. Factor these additional parts into your parts & labor budget.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote