View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
RandallNeighbour

If you are looking for a straight swap for factory struts, you want the heavy duty ones. If you put the sport ones on, it would be best to put same up front at the same time for handling and safety's sake. You don't want the rear to rebound differently from the front under hard turning or heavy loads.

You should know that replacing struts was a slippery slope for me...

I replaced just the rears a while back, and then decided to replace the fronts because my front wheel bearings were making a racket and I had steering wheel shake on the freeway. I also thought it would be really cool to have the car lowered, so I debated springs or coilovers... and coilovers made more sense, but either way I had to do all four.

So I bought the coilovers and front bearings.

Then I realized I had to buy adjustable toe links in the back to correct the lowering, and sheesh, while I was at it, I should probably go ahead and replace the control arms all the way around since they were all original and the car had 100k on it.

Then I figured I might as well knock out the rear bearings as well to save on labor so I bought those.

So what started out as two front struts turned into a totally replaced suspension on the car to the tune of $3200.00

Of course, it drives on rails like a brand new Porsche now, but anything gets better if you keep throwing wads of cash at it.

Lots of luck with your strut replacement and watch out for the slippery slope of which I write!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote