View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
RandallNeighbour

Pablito:

It sounds like you're on the right track, but frankly, you'll never know until you get a reading from a PST2 tool at a dealership. This is the only way to insure you are replacing the right things at the right time.

For example:
I thought my MAF was going out, but I found that the MAF was acting whacky because one of my O2 sensors was working intermittently. When my mechanic swapped it for an older, functioning one he had lying around his garage, the car idled very well and the readings for the MAF taken from the PST2 tool showed it was in good shape.

Here's my thoughts on CE lights on our cars in summary:
1. If the CE comes on and stays on, check for stupid things like caps being loose or missing.
2. If nothing stupid is found, it may well be a sensor ... all four O2 sensors should be replaced at the same time. Popping in a single new sensor with three old ones will yeild more error codes. A MAF is actually the one expensive sensor that you can replace yourself in a half hour, but insure it's not acting up like mine was due to a bad O2 sensor.
3. CE lights can also come on for a variety of other reasons, so get it on a PST2 tool at a dealership to discover the issue.
4. When your CE light blinks, you're in deep doo doo. Turn off engine immediately and get ready to spend enough money to require a comma in the amount.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote