View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
23109VC

Lateral G's for a boxster with M030???

I'm curious.... like many of your probably do, I like to scan the "road test summary" info in the back of Car and Driver and Road and Track - it's fun to read all the specs. Kinda like sports stats, only it's on the cars.

I didn't buy my boxster b/c of stats. I bought it because of how much fun it was to drive - but I can't help but wonder how my car stacks up against many others on those "stats".

I know 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc is not all that "impressive" when you compare a 2.7L with 217hp to all the new stuff that is out.... BUT, the one area where I swear my car would put many many new sports cars to shame is handling.

Before I bought my 2000 base, I test drove brand new RX8s and S2000s - both of which are very nice handling cars and score pretty well in the slalom and lateral G / skidpad tests.

My boxster has the 18" wheel package and M030. Even test driving other base boxsters, I swear I can tell a noticeable difference in how it corners - it feels tighter, corners flatter then other base boxsters that had either 17s and/or standard suspension.

just for kicks - do any of you know - or have good authority - for what a boxster like mine - a 2000 base, 18s, M030 would do in a slalom or on teh skidpad?

I can't imagine that there are many cars out there that can turn better numbers - I have driven many sporty cars and I still havne't found one that I think has the same combination of grip and balance that the boxster has...

the s2000 i drove, and the rx8 both were very good handling cars - but even brand new ones, with brand n ew suspension, new tires - didn't handle nearly as well as the boxster...

if I had to guess - I would say my boxster is above .90 but how far above I have no idea. am I close or way way off???
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote