View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
mdex

Another Tire Conundrum

Last summer I decided to just run my MPSC track tires all the time as I was at the track every few weeks and thought it wasn't worth the swap back and forth each week.

After burning up the inside edge of 4 sets of rears from the daily commute I have decided that this year I will grab another set of rims with some street tires and put that extra effort in (of stopping my my mechanics for a coffee and rim swap) for each event. I was just going to grab some random set of rims in stock sizes, but I have the opportunity to grab a set of 996 rims for free from a family member who's car is going back off of lease.

The questions that come up are;

I have the choice of either set of rims on the car... some Porsche Sport Designs, or BBS LM's. (in 911 offsets, so I will be running spacers)

If I am going to keep using the stock rims and tire sizes for the track I should grab the sport designs for the street because I think they look far better on the car...

But

I could go to running 235 / 285 MPSC at the track, in which case the BBS's make more sense.

I worry that the 285's might be too much tire for the back of the car on the track... the balance of the 225 / 265 stock sizes works really well and I would hate to ruin that. On the other hand 285's are really easy to find around here... and more grip is more grip.

Is anyone running 235/285's at the track on their car?

What are the thoughts of the group?

Thanks
Marc

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote