View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Kirk

In California you can put an engine from a different car in your car, but it has to be a newer engine (from a newer model year) or the same year as the car it's going into. For example, you couldn't put an engine from a '98 into an '02 car. So you'll need documentation regarding the engine, which Todd should have. Then you'd need to take the car and the documentation to a "referee" to have it approved. The car would need to have four cats total (OEM for the S) to pass, which it sounds like it only has two. After it's refereed, then you can go get it smogged and finally approved.

Quite honestly, I'd just smog it first to see if it even passes. My shop doesn't even look at the engine when they do smog. Most shops wouldn't know what a stock Boxster engine looks like any way... If I could just pass smog and get it plated as a stock Boxster S I wouldn't worry about the whole referee gig.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote