View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
So if I read this correct, there are no posted "facts" of how many Boxster engines fail. Many guesses.. 1%, 2%, 3%... but no hard numbers.

So lets look at other factors. What else fails? Transmissions, wheel bearings, alternators, power steering pumps. Are there other components of the car that fail prematurely? This info may be available from the aftermarket suppliers and re-manufacturers... which would show a trend of the overall realiability of the vehicles.

This is a reasonable question. You thoughts on the aftermarket as suppliers of data is good but I am not aware of anyone who tries to collect these data.

Based on the posts we see here, the trans and clutch set ups on the Box seems pretty robust. Ditto the Tiptronic. Don't remember any bad Tips but that's just a guess on my part.

We do see certain parts that seem to fail often, oil seperator, coolant tank, interior plastic parts, ignition switch, rear plastic window and seat belt receptacles. he stereo seems robust but folks hate it anyway!

I have no idea how this stacks up against other sports cars.

Oh, there is the RMS but that has been death. You can just duct tape that bad boy and drive around!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote