View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
23109VC

I'm pretty new to the Porsche world.. I've owned my Boxster for a matter of months.... I have a 2000 2.7L 5 speed.

I've read a lot of the threads on motor conversions - and it is not a cheap thing to do. It sounds like to do it right, you are looking at $15k+ easily. Just to replace a stock motor, with a stock replacement is close to $10k. Maybe less if you source a used motor, then use an independent mechanic, and cut costs. At a stealership, just to replace the 2.5L motor in this car you are talking about would be $15k...the dealer will hose you...very expensive.

If you are interested in a boxster, but want a larger motor - why not look at a newer 987? I don't know what your budget is, but the new boxsters have close to 300hp. the BRAND new 09 has over 300 IIRC.... obviously, you'll pay a lot more for a newer boxster than an old 986 2.5L.

I'd be very interested to see what those newer S model boxsters are selling for on the used market. the market for them right now is so bad that they are selling a lot cheaper than many people would expect. if you were to price what it would cost to pick up an old 986, and then pay for all the swap costs to put i a 3.4L/3.6L etc.... and see what your "total" bill is - versus just buying a newer 987 - it would be interesting to see what the real difference in costs are.

figure you can buy a used 986 for $10k with high miles. maybe slightly less if it "needs work". then you pay for a swap and spend $15-20k for all the stuff you'll end up needing. you are now into this car for $35k.

i would think you could get a sweet 987S with low miles, probably still under warranty for $35k. personally - if I was going to invest $30-35k i'd rather have an overall newer car with a warranty.

if you by a used 986 then dump $$$ into a bigger engine - you will have a car that is "faster" than the new 987 - since you probably could get more power by putting in a 3.6L - but you'd have an overall "older" car. so you'll still have the other routine repairs/costs of an "old" car. transmission, brakes, suspension, body panels, electronics, etc.

i paid 13k for my 2000. if my motor takes a dump, maye i'll tow it to a bad neighborhood, park it on the street, unlocked, with a sign that says "steal me/part me out". then when someone tows it away, i'll report it stolen. ha ha. seriously - I looked into the motor swap ideas when i was going to buy one, but I'm not so sure it makes financial sense to pump that kind of money into a 986 given how cheap the newer boxsters are getting.

anyone here who knows the figures off the top of hteir head care to correct / comment on my "figures".... is it cheaper to buy a 987S or buy an older used 986 and do a swap - if your goal is to get a near 300hp boxster?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote